1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (4 votes, average: 3.00 out of 5)

Goods to Declare

Declare when returning to Canada 

Apart from alcohol and tobacco, you must declare the following items upon returning to Canada:

  • Meat products.
  • Dairy products.
  • Plants, trees, cut flowers.
  • Wood products.
  • Fruits and vegetables.
  • Pets, animals.
  • Feathers and down.
  • Seeds and nuts.
  • Baby formula.

And amazingly, there are limits to groceries, for instance, 24 eggs, 20 kg of dairy products not worth more than $20 in value, 3 kg of margarine or butter substitutes, 20 kg of meat products, a maximum of one whole turkey or 10 kg of turkey products, maximum of 10 kg of chicken, maximum of 5 kg of edible meats, meat products from cattle, sheep, goat, bison, buffalo and a maximum of 250 g of caviar. Note that you cannot bring back any meat product from countries other than the US.

Under no circumstances can you bring in obscene materials, hate propaganda or child pornography.

Prepare before going abroad

If you have something valuable you want to bring with you on your trip, ask for a free identification service available at all CBSA offices. This service is available for items that have serial numbers or other unique markings. For items that do not have such markings, the CBSA can apply a sticker to them so they can be identified for customs purposes as goods legally in Canada. You will be given a list of your valuables and their serial numbers on a wallet-sized card called Y38 form (Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation). The CBSA warns that jewelry is often difficult to identify and therefore include on the Y38 form. You may want to consult a jeweller or insurance agent for an appraisal report. Carry a signed and dated photograph of your jewelry or certification documents to prove that you purchased the items in Canada.


19 responses so far. Leave a comment

19 Responses to “Goods to Declare”

  1. StevenNo Gravataron 11 Jul 2009 at 8:01 pm


    Hi: I’m considering taking my 2001 boat to the US and trading it for a 2009. The cost difference would be aprox $2,500 US. What costs will I be incurring to bring the new boat in to Ontario and registering it?


    What costs would I be incurring if I just went and purchased the boat in the US then brought it back to Ontario to register it?

    Would I have to pay taxes in the state that I purchased then again in Ontario?




  2. JimNo Gravataron 06 Aug 2009 at 4:34 pm

    Me & 3 friends coming up from the US for an extended vacation and some of my friends drink a lot. How much do w/ pay once we’ve exceeded our allowed amount of alcohol we can freely bring in and what’s the best process to make for an easy crossing?


  3. BoBNo Gravataron 07 Aug 2009 at 9:37 pm


    With 4 of you, you can bring in 6 liter of wine or 4×24 can of beer. If this is not enough, you’ll have to pay duty and GST/PST, which normally add up to the street price. This would make it not worthwhile carrying it all the way.



  4. JanNo Gravataron 01 Sep 2010 at 2:50 pm

    am a Canadian interested in purchasing an used piece of farm equipment in the USA…Is there duty on such a thing? It is a 1998 used New Holland Round Baler. Please advise


  5. Customs InfoNo Gravataron 02 Sep 2010 at 9:24 am

    No duty on baler.


  6. shirlyNo Gravataron 07 Sep 2010 at 9:17 pm

    I have a friend coming to Canada from the USA for a vacation, he wants to bring his tv and sell it to me ? what does he need to do this?


  7. CathyNo Gravataron 17 Sep 2010 at 10:47 am

    I’m going to the US, staying only 24hr. I am bringing back a wooden kitchen island, with a marble top, purchase price US is $89.99 plus 5% taxes in Maine. How much duty and taxes would I be charged on this, upon re-entering Canada? I live in NB.


  8. DianeNo Gravataron 11 Nov 2010 at 11:49 pm

    Let’s say I have a headache (while travelling in the US). I discover that I forgot my OTC pain killers at home (Canada), so I buy & take some (also OTC in the States). When I get back to the border and declare the partially used bottle, do I pro-rate the cost of the bottle of pain killers? Or, what do I do that is legal and honest?


  9. ChadNo Gravataron 13 Jan 2011 at 6:08 am

    I am planning to buy a used set of wheels and tires from a guy in the US. When I bring them back, do I have to delcare them? If so, what documentation do I need? What do I have to pay? A written private sale agreement? Please help Thank you.


  10. KEVINNo Gravataron 15 Jan 2011 at 12:28 am


    I would like to buy a ICE FISHING SONAR(FISH FINDER) FROM the US. The product itself is made in U.S.A. Now will i have to pay duty and taxes when i bring it into and canada ??


  11. DarleneNo Gravataron 09 Feb 2011 at 12:50 pm

    I want to bring in dry dog food for my 2 dogs. The same food is available in Canada but is much less expensive in the States. How much can I bring back?


  12. Cheryl ClineNo Gravataron 16 Feb 2011 at 6:50 pm

    We are US citizens who own a retirement cottage in Nova Scotia. We would like to bring up some used items for our cottage, ie: an area rug, lamps, a small handmade table, a space heater, nothing new or over $200. in total value. Are there forms or information we must submit?


  13. MonicaNo Gravataron 28 Mar 2011 at 1:02 pm

    I moved to Canada from the US, with a Santa Fe hauling a 5×8 trailer. There was an issue with the Santa Fe and in the confusion I forgot to declare the trailer (I declared everything in it, but not the trailer itself). I haven’t needed it since I got here, and it’s just been sitting there, but now to register it in Canada I’m told I need the declaration form from the border crossing. What do I do?


  14. Helen MacLeanNo Gravataron 17 Jun 2011 at 9:00 pm

    If a lawn tractor is exempt from duty does one still have to pay provencial tax plus US tax when brought in to Canada?


  15. Rose WrightNo Gravataron 11 Aug 2011 at 10:38 am

    Do I need to declare post cards purchased to send back home when coming back to Canada?


  16. DeniseNo Gravataron 18 Aug 2011 at 7:36 pm

    I am wondering if I purchased a crib/changing table/dresser combo for $250.00before taxes from the States, and brought it back to canada, what would it cost me at the boarder?


    SamNo Gravatar Reply:

    i am wondering the same thing… would really like to know how much would be charged to buy change table/dresser combo(250-300$) in the states and bring it back to canada? someone pls answer


  17. DerekNo Gravataron 23 Oct 2011 at 3:17 pm

    how much do i have to pay if I go over my 750 spending limit???


  18. brendaNo Gravataron 16 Jul 2012 at 9:16 pm

    Looking at buying cribs for my daughter’s twins Is there a lot of duty on baby cribs


Trackback Print this Print this Email this Email this Comments RSS

Leave a comment